You will love this new Tomato Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich, especially if you love the ones at Dunkin Donuts, with oven-roasted tomatoes.
This Copycat Dunkin’s Tomato Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich recipe has melty cheese, pesto sauce, and parmesan cheese.
If you love Pesto Recipes, like Pesto Garlic Bread and Pesto Butter, then you’ll love this grilled cheese sandwich. It’s a delicious recipe. One of the easiest Main Dishes you’ll ever make.
It gives a new twist to classic comfort food. It is definitely not a traditional grilled cheese sandwich. It’s kind of an Italian-style fancy grilled cheese that is super easy to make.
- Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- What You’ll Need For This Recipe
- How To Make Tomato Pesto Grilled Cheese
- Recipe Tips
- What To Serve With Grilled Cheese?
- More Pesto Recipes
- More Grilled Cheese Recipes
- ⭐ Reviews
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Gooey Cheese! – Who doesn’t love gooey, melty cheese, especially when you pull two halves of the sandwich apart?
- Pesto Flavor – Do you love that delicious pesto flavor often used in Italian foods? Then you’ll love these Pesto Grilled Cheese sandwiches.
- Easy – With only five ingredients required and a 6th otional ingredient for added flavor, these Pesto grilled cheese sandwiches are super easy to make.
What You’ll Need For This Recipe
The affiliate links below will allow you to see the product on Amazon.com. If you purchase one of the items, I will receive a very small commission on the product, which does not increase the price.
- Skillet or Griddle
- Cutting Board
Below I discuss the ingredients and possible substitutions in case you don’t have a specific ingredient. However, if you are looking for the specific measurements of each ingredient, be sure to scroll down to the bottom of this article, just above the comments, for the printable recipe card, which includes all the ingredients and the specific amounts of each one.
- Pesto Sauce – You can use a store-bought pesto, or make your own bomemade pesto, like this Homemade Basil Pesto Recipe, with olive oil, pine nuts, fresh basil leaves, and parmesan cheese, or use a nut-free pesto spread.
- Bread – You’ll need thick, hearty bread, like slices of sourdough bread.
- Cheese – You’ll need slices of cheese that melt well, such as American cheese, provolone cheese, or white cheddar.
- Tomato – Use fresh tomatoes, or for a true Dunkin Copycat Tomato Pesto Grilled Cheese, use fire-roasted tomatoes.
How To Make Tomato Pesto Grilled Cheese
- Butter one side of all slices of bread with about ½ tablespoon each, and set the butter side down.
- Spread one tablespoon of pesto on the opposite side of each slice of bread.
- Top two of the slices of bread, on the pesto side, with one slice of cheese, sliced tomatoes, about ½ tablespoon parmesan, another piece of cheese, and then top with another slice of bread- pesto side down on the sandwich.
- Preheat a griddle or skillet to medium heat. Once the griddle or skillet is heated, place one side of the buttered cheese sandwich on it. Cook until the bottom slice of bread is golden; Using a large spatula, flip the sandwich, and repeat the same process on the other side.
- Sprinkle half of the rest of the parmesan on top, and enjoy!
- Repeat this process with the next sandwich and enjoy your flavor-bursting, hot, cheesy sandwich!
- Add Extra Flavor – Sprinkle parmesan cheese over the top of the hot grilled cheese sandwiches after cooking.
- Serve Immediately – These Pesto Grilled Cheese sandwiches taste the best immediately after they come off the griddle while they are still hot and the cheese is melty.
- Roasted Red Pepper – Add roasted red peppers instead of tomatoes for a delicious variation.
- Fresh Spinach – Add fresh spinach for additional freshness and flavor.
- Bacon – Add a couple of slices of cooked bacon to the sandwich to add that delicious bacon flavor.
What To Serve With Grilled Cheese?
- Tomato Soup – There’s nothing better than tomato soup to go with grilled cheese. They go together like peanut butter and jelly.
- Lasagna Soup – It tastes like lasagna in a bowl. When combined with a grilled cheese sandwich, it’s heaven.
- Chopped Vegetable Salad – Fresh vegetables with cool, crisp lettuce pair perfectly with a hot grilled cheese sandwich.
More Pesto Recipes
- Pesto Chicken
- Pesto Turkey Meatballs
- Pesto Zucchini Noodles
More Grilled Cheese Recipes
- Baked Pizza Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- Loaded Grilled Cheese
If you like this recipe or make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment, rate the recipe, and follow us on:
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram