How long do African Grey Parrots live as pets? If you are thinking of having this parrot as a pet then you need to know the lifespan of African grey parrots, to determine the period they will stay with you.
The African grey parrot belongs to Central Africa, they are considered one of the best talkers among the others. This bird is extraordinarily intelligent and has a stunning personality. This bird is completely grey with a short red tail. Their ability to imitate is impressive and they can quickly learn a vast number of words, songs, sounds, etc.
African Grey Parrot Lifespan: How Long Do They Live?
African grey parrots are very interactive, enjoyable, loving, cheerful, inquisitive, and clever. The two species of African grey parrots are Congo African grey and Timneh African Grey.
The African grey parrots have quite a long life span. However, the period of living depends upon the circumstances and environment. Having this parrot at home is very exciting but you need to have an idea of their lifespan. In this article, we have written about the lifespan of African grey parrots. So, without further delay let’s find out!
The average life span of the African Grey Parrot
As pets, African grey parrots are very intelligent and lovable. These birds are also good as pets because of their long lifespan. They can live up to many years if taken good care of. However, the life span depends on various factors. The life span is important because every owner wants a long-lived mate as their pet.
The African grey parrots’ average lifespan as pets is 45 to 50 years. Their average lifespan in the wild is 40 to 60 years. Though, like pets, the lifespan of these birds may fluctuate as per their surroundings. They can live more than the average age estimated if they get proper maintenance and suitable habitat.
Sometimes, the birds living as pets are likely to survive more years than they do in the wild. The reason is they are safe from dangers and predators at home. Although, African greys are very smart birds to escape the dangers the chances of fleeing from hazards frequently is a bit difficult. So, the average African grey parrot’s lifespan is long and varies depending on some factors. If these factors can be endured then the lifespan of African grey parrots can be increased.
How long does African Grey Parrot Live?
People always determine the lifespan of an animal or a bird before obtaining them as pets. Everybody wants to have a pet with a long lifespan. They don’t want to get emotionally connected to a pet only to lose them in a short period. People want a companion who stays with them for a longer period.
When we talk about a longer lifespan, the African grey parrots match this category. They have a pretty long lifespan. The lifespan of an African grey parrot is 40 to 60 years. These parrots can live up to 45 to 50 years as pets. Their living period in the wild depends on the hazards, predators, and diseases. If the birds can escape these problems for long periods then they can have a good lifespan. Likewise, the African grey parrots’ lifespan as pets depends on the habitat, diet maintenance, care, attention, etc.
African grey Parrots are extraordinary and affectionate as pets. They can imitate sounds and voices smoothly. They are also very playful and charming as pets. They always seek attention from their owners. African greys need a schedule for their proper care. You can depict that these birds are high maintenance. However, they are highly intelligent and long-lived. African grey parrots are good as pets and can become great companions.
How do identify the age of the African Grey Parrot?
African grey parrot lifespan is long. They can live for a longer period and most prefer to have this parrot as a pet due to its long lifespan. Owners want to have a companion that can stay for a long time with them. But have you ever thought of determining the age of an African grey parrot?
It is very difficult to identify the age of an African grey parrot. Determining the age of a bird that is not raised by you from the time it’s born can be complicated. It is harder to determine the age of an adult bird than a juvenile bird. However, there are a few simple tricks for knowing the age of the African greys. The results might not be accurate but can be somewhat close.
- Check the eye color of the bird. The younger birds of or below 6 months have black or grey eyes. Between 6 months to 1 year, the eye color of the bird starts to lighten and become light grey. Between 18 months to 2 years, the eye turns pale yellow-brown and then their eye color turns light or dark yellow by the age of 3 to 4 years.
- The tail features of young African grey parrots are dark grey and red or maroon color of the adult birds.
- Molting is another method of determining the bird’s age. The African grey parrots shed their soft feathers between the age of 8 to 24 months.
- Age can also be determined by size and weight. If the bird is between 12 to 14 inches and weighs between 400 to 600 grams then the bird is of or more than 5 years. If the size and weight are less than this then the bird is below 5 years of age.
What is the lifespan of the African Grey Parrot in captivity?
African grey parrots kept in captivity have a medium-range lifespan. This means their living period depends on various factors. Their lifespan can increase if taken proper care of and not encountering any unforeseen situations. Likewise, the lifespan can decrease if they are not handled properly.
The lifespan of African grey parrots in captivity is around 40 years. This is a predictable age and can fluctuate as per the circumstances. Diet is the topmost factor that affects the lifespan of these parrots. In the wild, they eat nutritious fruits and greens. To maintain this nutrition level they should be provided with the same level in captivity. The lifespan of African grey parrots can get affected because of obesity. Regular health check-up maintenance is mandatory. Another factor is stress.
These parrots are very sociable and seek attention. Not getting the proper attention and feeling alone might lead them to stress. Spend good quality time with your bird. There are a few other factors as well. Ensure to avoid any bad incidents and give proper care to your pet for their health and long lifespan.
African grey parrots are charming and elegant birds to have as pets. They are long-lived and can become an exciting friend. However, the life span varies depending upon numerous factors still they have a good period of life to become suitable pets.
We hope this article helped you to understand the lifespan of an African grey parrot. Now you know the answer to, “How long do African grey parrots live as pets?”. Bring an African grey to your home and have a lovable companion for you.
Top 6 how long do african greys live Synthesized by BSS news
How Long Do African Greys Live? (African Grey Parrot Lifespan)
- : birdfact.com
- : 06/09/2023
- : 4.6 (207 vote)
- : How long do African greys live… · How long can African greys…
- : As of 2016, all trade in wild African grey parrots has been banned. As a measure to prevent illegal trade, captive breeding facilities must now be registered with CITES (the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and …
African Grey Parrot Lifespan – How Long Do Parrots Live?
- : squeaksandnibbles.com
- : 05/13/2023
- : 4.57 (320 vote)
- : In the wild, they can live up to 80 years, though one particular parrot is known to have reached the grand old age of 90! Many pet owners are …
- : Parrots can live for several decades. Each individual African Grey Parrot lifespan will depend on whether they are wild or captive, on their general health and on how well captive Parrots are cared for. To fully answer the question ‘how long do …
How Long Do African Grey Parrots Live? (Lifespan Guide)
- : petkeen.com
- : 07/29/2022
- : 4.21 (376 vote)
- : The average lifespan of a wild African Grey is just under 23 years. How Long Do African Grey Parrots Live as Pets? African Greys fare much …
- : Nutrition is likely the number one influence in the lifespan of your domestic parrot and where many well-meaning bird parents go wrong. Unfortunately, there is still much misinformation about the proper diet for African Greys. Many new bird owners …
Caring Guide for African Greys: Prices, Lifespan, Diet & Training
- : herebird.com
- : 10/03/2022
- : 4.03 (544 vote)
- : How Healthy Are African Grey Parrots? … In captivity African Greys have a lifespan of 40 to 60 years. They are generally healthy but do suffer from age-related …
- : The bird referred to as an African Grey is actually two different related species of parrots. The Congo African Grey (CAG) is a companion parrot whose scientific name is Psittacus erithacus. They are moderately large parrots, with the Congo variety …
How Long Do African Grey Parrots Live as Pets
- : birdspundit.com
- : 12/14/2022
- : 3.84 (379 vote)
- : The average lifespan of most African grey parrots when kept as pets is anywhere from 20 to 30 years, which is a lot less than wild types. A …
- : Under six months, they will have dark grey to black eyes, then at age one, the iris will turn to a lighter grey. As the bird gets to about 2 years, the iris will turn to a light straw yellow, and between ages 3 to 5, it will turn into a darker …
African Grey Lifespan – How Long Do These Birds Really Live?
- : birdybirdybirdy.com
- : 04/13/2023
- : 3.71 (458 vote)
- : The wild-type African grey is estimated to live between 25 and 30 years, with most individuals reaching around 28. In their natural state, African grey parrots …
- : Knowing what the African grey parrot lifespan is, will keep you one step ahead of all there is to learn about these intelligent birds. It’s an important question that anyone considering adding an African grey to their home should keep in mind. It’s …